The roots of the Pinehurst-Southern Pines Area Association of REALTORS® can be traced back to 1947 when the Sandhills Board of REALTORS® was originally charted. In 1960 the Southern Pines Board of REALTORS® received its charter, In 1972 the two Boards realized that they served a common group of real estate professionals and that they had common goals and a common purpose. The two Boards agreed to a merger and on November 14, 1972 the Moore County Board of REALTORS® received its charter from the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS®. At that time there were 13 firms and Mr. William Gentry was elected as the first President of the Board. During 1972 and 1973, the Multiple Listing Service was begun. In 1980, the Board became an all REALTORS® board and was incorporated as a non-profit organization. On November 16, 1986. The name of the Board was changed to the Pinehurst/Southern Pines Area Board of REALTORS®, Inc. The Board hired its first, full time staff executive in February 1987. On May 12, 1988, the Multiple Listing Service was incorporated as a wholly owned, for Profit, Subsidiary Corporation of the Board. The Board membership at the time was 225 REALTORS® in 47 firms with 19 Affiliate members. As of January 1, 1996, the Board had 308 REALTORS® member in 81 firms and 44 Affiliate members. In October, 1996, the Pinehurst/Southern Pines Area Board of REALTORS® and the Multiple Listing Services consolidated their operations and the Sandhills Association of REALTORS®, Inc. was established as a for profit corporation. In February of 1999, the members voted to change the name of the association to the Pinehurst-Southern Pines Area Association of REALTORS®, Inc. feeling that this name more truly represented the area served by the association. Throughout its history, though changes and transitions, the primary focus of the Pinehurst-Southern Pines Area Association of REALTORS® has been to serve its members and the community and to promote and preserve private property rights.