History of the National Association of Realtors

I. NAR's Beginnings & Key Events

The NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® was founded as the National Association of Real Estate Exchanges on May 12, 1908 at the YMCA Auditorium in Chicago, IL. With 120 founding members, 19 Boards, and one State Association, the National Association of Real Estate Exchanges' objective was "to unite the real estate men of America for the purpose of effectively exerting a combined influence upon matters affecting real estate interests."

pspaar_nationalassociationofrealtorsThe Association's founding boards included the Baltimore, MD; Bellingham, WA; Chicago, IL; Cincinnati, OH; Cleveland, OH; Detroit, MI; Duluth, MN; Gary, IN; Kansas City, MO; Los Angeles, CA; Milwaukee, WI; Minneapolis, MN; Omaha, NE; Philadelphia, PA; St. Louis, MO; St. Paul, MN; Seattle, WA; Sioux City, IA; and Tacoma, WA, boards and the California State Realty Federation (now the California Association of REALTORS®).

The Code of Ethics was adopted in 1913 with the Golden Rule as its theme.

In 1916, the National Association of Real Estate Exchange's name was changed to The National Association of Real Estate Boards (NAREB). That same year, the term “REALTOR,” identifying real estate professionals who are members of the National Association and subscribers to its strict Code of Ethics, was devised by Charles N. Chadbourn, a past president of the Minneapolis Real Estate Board.
The collective marks REALTORS® and REALTOR® were registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office on Sept. 13, 1949, and Jan. 10, 1950, respectively, under Registration Numbers 515,200 and 519,789. Since then, the association has maintained a vigilant defense of the trademarks, prevailing in numerous cases. Most recently, in Zimmerman v. NAR (2004), the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board denied a request to cancel the trademarks.

In 1972, the name of the National Association of Real Estate Boards was changed to the National Association of REALTORS® (NAR). The block "R" logo was adopted by the Association in 1973.

In 1989, the Association adopted The Voice for Real Estate as its theme and as part of its official logo. Along with this theme, the Association encouraged more members to include the REALTOR® emblem on their business cards and stationery.

In 1998, a national Public Awareness Campaign was launched to educate consumers about the vital role REALTORS® play in the real estate transaction.

The Association became the largest trade association in the United States in the early 1970s, with over 400,000 members. Today, the National Association of REALTORS® has over 1.2 million members, 54 State Associations (including Guam, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands) and more than 1,400 local Associations.

Please visit their website at: www.realtor.org

nat_realtors_logosThe National Association's logos throughout the years. From left to right, logos for NAREE (1909-1916), NAREB (1923-1973), and NAR (1973-present).

Share
renewyourfees_banner
psplogo©2013 Pinehurst-Southern Pines Area association of REALTORS®
140 Turner St., Southern Pines, NC 28387
Office: (910) 692-8988 | Fax: (910) 684-5172 | Contact Us
 ncar_helpbanner_ad52 logo_realtor